Hi Gang:

The weather is almost warmish today. The sky looks as though it won't distribute too much rain. All in all a good day. I ran up and down the valley yesterday. Monday I try to do all of the errands that need to be done, that can be planned. I didn't hit any sheep going over the top, but not for them. I think the rabbits are getting smarter, and the sheep are getting dumber. I actually saw a rabbit sitting along side the road waiting for its turn to cross. It waited for me and then for the truck behind me. Then it crossed.

The good news of the day is that we got our power permits. They are on their way to Kendal as we speak. I am arranging a delivery of powder to the bunker. I also went and spoke to the gentlemen at the Height's Quarry about storing our powder at the quarry. There is a new assistant to Mr. Mason. He is a very polite young man by the name of Richard Roberts. He is from Yorkshire, and actually has a degree in Geology. Was very interested in our operation. I'm going to issue an invite to visit the Rogerley. Anyway, we are allowed to store again. The police have also given their blessing. I was worried for a second when Mr. Roberts said “You did this before, when???” Mr. Ward from last year hadn't told him about us. Or if he did Mr. Roberts couldn't understand. Apparently, he has the same problem understanding Mr. Ward's Very Heavy Scottish burr, that I did. So I'm shooting for the end of the week for our first powder run.

I forgot to tell everyone about the seven baby blue tits from Saturday. When we did the tours at the mine the baby birds by the portal entrance were chirping madly. I thought it was because we were disturbing them, but it turned out it was leave the nest day. I saw two on the ground, and immediately put them back on top. I thought their siblings had pushed them out by mistake. Were talking a crevice in rock that is about 3"x1". I was amazed to see there were seven babies in there. They kept falling out of the nest and off the rock. I was getting really worried about now. By this time Byron and the Campbell's were also watching this. Mr. Campbell is part of a nature group at home. He told me that the best thing was to let them be. All of a sudden one of these little fuzzballs flew across the dump to the nearest tree. I was astounded. So we just started watching them. Soon there were flying baby blue tits all over. We saw five of them flitting about, or working up the nerve to fly, and still three in the nest. There were actually eight in the nest. Mom and Dad stayed in the area and fed the babies wherever they were. The three in the nest appear to still be there. Mom and Dad are still feeding them madly. Must scale the laying to allow this. So we had baby flying blue tits on Saturday for entertainment.

The mining news is also exciting. Byron worked on a crack at the back of the East tunnel. That started to really give some interesting specimens. The average size of these are about three quarters of an inch to three inches. They are about as big as we have seen so far. Byron even found one that he would like to keep. They are not beauties, but interesting because of their size. He brought me one specimen to clean that weighs about 40 pounds. The galenas are glorious. Not shiny, but no contamination. Gemmy edges with White centers. When he left yesterday the pocket was four feet wide and a foot high. Looks like more will be forth coming. The boys mucked the West tunnel and scaled to the face. Track was laid, and it is ready for shooting.

I have to get to my garage and Byron to the pocket.

Cheers, Jonina and Byron

A view of the Rogerley Quarry from the mine landing on a sunny day.

Go Back