August 13, 2001

Greetings from the windy Pennines,

Watching the weather forecast on the various BBC channels yesterday was akin to an Alice in Wonderland experience. One said clouds in the morning and sun in the afternoon and temperatures up near 75; another said clouds and the possibility of thundershowers all day; a third said windy, rain and warm all day. You get the picture, at the end of the day one of them has to be right. The winner this time was channel 3 - lots of wind with gusts to near 30mph, intermittent rain at times heavy and cloudy clear through the day but it did get up near 75.

This was Paul's last day here and he and Byron left about 9:20 to pick up Dave Beadle and spend the day at the mine. Kerith and I and Ayla spent till 1:00 p.m. cleaning and packing specimens and made good headway on the garage backlog. Jonina was off running errands and delivering powder so the boys could deliver a blast to the Birthday Pocket by day's end.

Because the weather was so blustery and rainy Kerith elected to stay home but after lunch I ran some errands and made it up to the mine by 1:45 p.m. and spent the afternoon helping Paul dig and looking at his handiwork. He had managed to expose what we are calling "Christmas in New Hampshire". A plate about 18"x12" of white aragonite coated fluorite with the odd gem twin sticking up through the aragonite and several quartz stalactites covered with green fluorite and the odd bit of white aragonite on them - sort of like fir trees in a snow covered field. The only fly in the ointment is that we can see no cracks on this hug chunk of rock and it is down near knee level when standing so you have to get down on your belly and look up to see it but well worth the effort. The same zone produced perhaps 8 or 10 small stalactite groups and most were true quartz coated soda straws as opposed to our more common quartz coated and replaced horn corals.

Paul and I left about 5:00 p.m. back sore and weary, he more so than I. We had a farewell dinner with the six of us at the Mill Race in Wolsingham and said our good-byes. The taxi picked Paul up at before 5:00 a.m. this morning for his trip to Teeside airport; we wish him good travels.

Thats about it from this place way north of Lake Woebegone. Cal

Go Back