Saturday, July 5, 2008

Good Morning,

Today was glorious to start with but by noon had turned windy and cold, with near horizontal rain coming down.

Byron and went up to the mine about 8:30 a.m. to open the gate for the Mick and his JCB. He arrived about an hour later after stopping for diesel and to help his brother move sheep from one pasture to the next. Byron was underground by then mucking out the junction pocket looking for more color. I went up about 10:00 continue work on the pocket I had started several days ago in the Dipper zone. Now that it was broken through into the tunnel I worked the remains of the pocket from the tunnel side and came up with a few nice pieces including a 12" plate with small knobs, quartz crystals and galena crystals and a few gem twins in the 1/2" range.

Mick spent the day at the dump face moving piles of rock. Around noon he had a hydraulic hose break and went into Stanhope to replace it but was back and working at it in less than an hour and a half. In the course of shifting dump rock we had a huge sluff and about half of our rail was undercut and will now require moving. We needed to move it out to reach the edge of the dump last week, now we need to move it back. Will surprise Dave on Monday, we had planned on moving the rail then -- just not back to its original position. With the rain coming down in buckets Mick quit about 3:00 p.m. and will come back next week after it quits raining -- likely Tuesday or Wednesday.

Byron and I broke for lunch about 1:30 and spent 40 minutes separating two large blue plastic tubs which had become married to each other by somebody 'helpfully' pushing one into the other. These we use for soaking large specimens and washing up at the end of the day.

Yesterday's blast was quite successful, and only one side of one set was damaged. We do now have a rock from the ceiling that is perhaps 2 meters in size and will require the use of the explosives to reduce to a manageable size otherwise. Byron leaned in over the top of the muck pile and extracted two chunks from the face which were in a seam of green and got two quite nice small cabinet sized specimen of high wholesale quality so we are upbeat about the prospects of what will show up later this week.

Today's photo is of the lake that developed in the quarry after the rainstorm.

Regards, Cal & Kerith & Byron

Go Back