Wednesday, July 14, 2010
The rain Tuesday night left the quarry absolutely gummy with mud, looking around I would say the predicted 50mm was met easily. Byron, myself, Kerith, Steve and Will all went in about 9:30 a.m. to await Killhope volunteers due to arrive about 10:00 a.m. after a snafu in timing the day before. Wednesday was overcast all day and we had the odd light shower, but it was warm by northern standards so not uncomfortable. When we got to the quarry we could see that the previous nights wind and rain had broken nearly all the nylon rope attaching the tarp between the two containers and pulled the rail with attached tarp on one side and board with attached tarp on the other off and into the space between and crashing through and destroying one of the washing screens. It was the work of three of us to get things repaired with me doing duty on the tops of the trailers since the old trailer's top is unbelievably slick and dangerous and there was no way I was letting Byron or one of the boys up there. At any rate we got it repaired but a few more holes in the tarp so it is not 100% waterproof anymore but at least serviceable and hopefully able to make it through the Summer.
Killhope arrived shortly after 10:00 a.m. in a Durham County Council bus and parked up by the well, Alex was in charge of this group of about 10 volunteers and they did a marvelous job of sweeping the area clean of extraneous galena and fluorite bits which are sitting in several piles by the containers to be picked up next week. As soon as Dave and Peter arrived, Byron and I set off to see about needed repair parts for the washing screen and power unit, oil filter, oil to change since it has been 5 years since we changed the oil and to procure another couple of belts for the power unit since the last one we had went hors-de-combat. Dave did not have Joe's help since he had taken Tuesday off to study for his driving exams and Wednesday was the big day, Dave got a text late in the afternoon that Joe had passed and was planning on using a car this weekend, he has inherited Shanade's old green Volkswagen. He will need to work a lot this Summer since just the insurance on it is 2200GBP a year for his age group. Dave with alternating help worked on finishing up the timbering and mucking out the face. The appointment I had made that morning with Speedy, never materialized. I don't know what the foul up was but Dave was only able to get a half dozen tubs out between the machine cutting out over 11 times before we just gave up. I called late in the day, and gave them hell since we basically had four of us sitting around doing squat because of the no-show. I am told a Speedy fellow will be there at 10:00 a.m. on Thursday ...... let's hope so.
I had Will shepherd the Killhope group around, had Peter and Steve help Kerith scrubbing and drying specimen till she left for her hair appointment to get it cut and colored about 2:30 in the afternoon. Byron and I returned from our foraging expedition and were able to order all the necessary part for the power unit, order the 3"x8" x 13' timbers Dave wants, but were unable to secure any 1/4" screen, can't even order it over here from someone locally, when I got home in the afternoon I did an Internet search and found a company that carries it. Will have to buy 20' x 3' but since all that is just at $50 will do so since we will use it, turns out you don't by screen you by metal netting. After Killhope left, Byron and I did a bit of rock moving in the West Crosscut, we left the crosscut with a large, perhaps 1" root, draped over bits of mostly massive green fluorite blocks so I can take a picture this morning. Steve worked at getting a specimen out of the old Corner Pocket and Will and Peter finished up the scrubbing and drying and putting everything back in the container. Kerith got back about 4:30 in the afternoon and we closed down early since there was little left to do without the compressor running.
This morning, Thursday, I need to phone EC Hopkins again about a problem running an American credit card, see to paying some bills that have mounted up and getting out to Andrew's garage to get the necessary parts for the power unit and hopefully Byron and I can get it up and running to full speed. Today's picture is of Will and Peter finishing up the mucking out of the West Crosscut.
Thatís all the news there is.
Cal and crew