Saturday, July 13, 2013

Good Morning,

Yesterday dawned with moderate temperatures and a light breeze and few clouds, by late afternoon temperatures were quite warm for the dale. My car thermometer registered 26 around 5:30 p.m., which is about 78F. It was so pleasant last night that we ate outside again and enjoyed the breeze and a bottle of wine with our dinner of meatloaf, potatoes and broccoli.

Dave and Joe finished the timbering of the face and put in a safety support under a menacing looking boulder in the crosscut. Because of the mess we make up in the crosscut it is a continual process of mucking there. Dave put in a timber floor to make the mucking easier -- which is does, but where the boards end we create a dam of mud and rock and the water tends to pool behind it where you are sitting or kneeling and coupled with the water nozzle spraying the pocket (as yet unnamed) you can get either really wet or really muddy if you ware suited up for the water.

My first job of the day was to do some packing and we added another three blue bins and probably have enough soaking and drying to do another two or more. The area is particularly productive for small crystals, so many so that it is impossible to get them all even when three of us are looking. Ian started with washing the soaking specimens and when Joe came down to tell us the support beam was in the crosscut he headed right out and I followed shortly thereafter. We found Jesse digging away. Finding a number of excellent large twins.

It is a struggle to get decent specimens because the zone is so jumbled and crushed but sometimes it does throw specimens. I got my turn at the pocket early afternoon and again late in the day. We tend to take turns of about 45 minutes to an hour. You find that you spend that time usually crunched into a static muscle cramping position and it will take 5 minutes just to get up from the floor of the pocket. Later in the day on the north side of pocket I uncovered a small seam under an ironstone boulder that produced three or four very nice lustrous gemmy plates between Ian and myself who took over at the end of the day and got the biggest plate out and today's picture shows him holding his prize.

It dawns quite warm and breezy this Saturday morning. Kerith has plans for my day though I would rather go up and have another go at the pocket, which is -- what I think Jesse and Ian may do. We are all excited about the possibilities at this point.

That's all for now,

Cheers, Cal and Kerith, Jesse & Ian

Ian with his latest find.

Go Back