Friday, June 6, 2014

Greetings from Weardale.

As befitting the D-Day celebrations taking place on the French coast the weather today was perfect, a few puffy white clouds, just a whisper of a breeze and lots of sunshine pushing temperatures to 23C or 74F. We got a phone call around 8:00 a.m. from the fitter so I agreed to open up the mine and meet him there at 9:00 a.m. Jesse had some internet and scanning to do to clear the 40 blue bins sitting down on the London docks, so he and Ian stayed until that was finished. Kerith's plan for the day was to cut the grass and clean up the garden chairs and tables so we could eat outdoors for the first time.

Jesse and Ian got to the mine about 11:00 a.m. in time to see the utter failure that the fitter and I were having moving the air motor into place. As it turns out, it was just as well since we decided to order a high load impact bearing instead of the one we had and that was not due in till Monday. If we had managed to get the motor we would have been forced to pull it back out. At this point we need to put in one more bearing, the motor and it's housing and then reassemble the gears on the front, put in the butterfly panel, put in the gear oil, put the two wheels that were taken off back on and eureka we will have a machine.... with luck and a strong tailwind. About noon Daiju Ura and Natsuyo Ishinoda came walking in from their B&B in Stanhope and spent the next three hours combing the dumps for treasure. They have taken a year off to travel around the world going to gemstone and mineral localities. Three months in Arkansas looking for diamonds at the state park, they stayed until they found a diamond, or four, as it turns out the last 10 days or so of there three months. Largest diamonds was a .28carat yellow, then Bolivia for ametrine, Chile for lapis, Norway for peridot and emerald, Austria for emerald and now fluorite in England before continuing there sage around the world. The two are pictured in front of one of our containers.

About 2:00p.m. we packed it up and I dropped them off in front of their B&B then headed on down to Fairless to drop off a knackered hose we found on the Eimco and headed back to Burnbrae. Found William our landlord had just finished mowing the lawn, Kerith had just finished cleaning off the tables and chairs. Just as I was getting out of the car Jesse showed up having taken Ian into Durham around 1:00 p.m. for a wedding tomorrow in the Midlands then he and Di head back to Cardiff and Ian takes off on Monday for Brazil and the World Cup with a friend. When next we see Ian hopefully the Eimco will be happily humming and doing its job at the face.

Cheers from the north,

Cal & Kerith, and Jesse

Go Back